Monday, April 27, 2015

Dont Let Go of What Matters Most


I have branded into my skin and my heart an eternal reminder of a gospel truth.

 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth,where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

This week we were making a cake.  It was chocolate.  It smelled soooo good as it neared readiness.

I grabbed a fork to go and see if it was done.  It is very important to pull the cake out at the right time.  If you insert the fork and the fork comes out gooey, it needs more time, but if it is clean, it needs to come out immidately to preserve its moistness.  The fork is important.  It has to be clean and dry to make sure that it shows correctly the doneness of the cake.  I was crouching down to see into the oven of the cake was done.  I rested the essencial tool on my knee.  The silver fork.  Freshly washed and dried.  It gleamed a little.  With my left hand I carefully opened the oven door.  The aroma was breathtaking.  Now just to check.  With the hand not keeping the oven door from springing closed, I, with a towel, started pulling the cake out of the oven.  Then all of the sudden the fork started sliding from my knee where it had rested.  I adjusted my stance to keep it from the dirty floor, but to no avail! The four pronged key for delicous happiness was leaving. It was falling.  Everything would soon be over.  BUT NO!  It was falling just within the grasp of my bottom hand, and so, in a frantic go I went for it.  It appeared that I would make it.  Time went slower and slower, and then...WHAM!!!!!   

 OOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!  With my right hand still on the cake pan, the burning oven door sprang closed, branding my right arm forever.  

So...  What did I learn?

2 Nephi 9:51
 51 Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy.Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness.

Niza was also baptised this week.  It was fantastic!  She said that she feels like a great weight has been taken out of her and that she wants to stay like this forever.  We read with her about how in the ordnances the power of divinity is manifested.  She has a strong desire to help others, especially in her family, come unto the fold.  She will do it too.  There are many other prepared souls in her family.  Cris is still waiting on permission, but she will get there.  They brought a cake to her for her birthday even though she isnt a member yet.  

I also gave a talk again this week because they thought I was leaving.  It was really long because they left me 30 mins.

And...  I am leaving.

I got transfered yesterday.  All the things I had predicted about our district 
happened including who was leaving and where they were going.  Elder Zuniga and I are leaving.  Elder Zuniga is going to Tarra Fal on the island of Santiago which will be his first time on the south islands and he will have to deal with a completely different creole than he has had his whole mission.  I am excited for him.  I am going to the island of Sao Nichalou.  There are only 2 pairs (4 missionaries) on the island.  It has been opened since I have been out.  I remember when it was first opened and it is still very new.  I am super excited though.  I fly out in a few hours. 

 The elder that was there is replacing me.  He is about to go home, and I hope that he does some good work here.  I am serving with Elder Barrus who is from my MTC district.  He is from Wyoming.  It is going to be fantastic.  It is another super beauitful and green island, so I hope I get to enjoy that a bit before I go home.  I hope I wont have to pack my bags any more before I go home.  I hate dealing with weight limits at the airports.  
So, that was this week!
Pray that I might have Charity for everyone on this new island!
Love,
Elder Sampson

No comments:

Post a Comment